General Rules and Guidelines
Carefully read and understand the following Tournament rules and guidelines. You are expected to participate in the spirit of good sportsmanship and act respectfully towards competitors. Failure to follow the rules, guidelines, and other Tournament expectations may result in dismissal from the Tournament.
Note: Rules and Guidelines are subject to change.
- Must be a Senior (135+ credits) and current SOU undergraduate student to compete. There are no overall GPA restrictions. International students please visit the Tournament Master to determine eligibility.
- The free Business Venture Workshop is required for all participants. Students must actively participate in the Workshop and complete assignments until the Final Competition in Spring to remain eligible. The Workshop is delivered via Moodle and participants receive instructions after the Entry Form is processed.
- All writing must be grammatically correct with no spelling errors. Writing is checked by Grammarly. Use APA 7 style formatting, citations, and references. Visit the Hannon Library for assistance.
- The Venture must be real. No fictitious ventures.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to use the Senior Capstone or Project for the Business Venture Tournament to avoid burdening students with additional work. Venture ideas that do not use the Senior Capstone/Project must be approved by the Tournament Master and Program Chair.
- Courses to support each Venture project are highly recommended to strengthen your skills and allow you to remain competitive. SOU supportive courses provide the best option for learning and should be taken when possible for academic credits. Mandatory and/or voluntary micro-courses, workshops, and lectures will provide valuable information to remain competitive. Read more about training.
- Each participant must submit required deliverables on or before the posted deadlines for the current competition. No Exceptions!
- Deliverables must be submitted per the instructions. Failure to do so may result in dismissal from the Tournament.
- Teaming up is allowed and encouraged if members will be principles in the new venture. The Business Venture Plan must contain partnership agreements. Consider teaming with individuals from other departments for a more diverse team with different ideas. Award amounts remain the same and are distributed to the primary business entity.
- Business Venture profit models can be for-profit or not-for-profit.
- All participants are expected to maintain professionalism, good sportsmanship, and abide by the SOU Student Code of Conduct. No bad language or inappropriate inferences may be used in student vote acquisition.
- Total expenditures to procure “Pitch” student votes may not exceed $50. This cap is to ensure all students have a fair chance of winning votes. Get creative!
- All student vote campaigns must be approved by the Tournament Master before execution.
- Unforeseen circumstances will be evaluated and addressed when needed at the discretion of the Tournament Master.